Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One Flower Wednesday


I have recently become interested in english paper piecing and came across a group of bloggers who are making hexagon flowers.  Participants can upload their photos every Wednesday so the rest of the group can see what everyone is doing.  These little hexagons are my evening project.  The link to this group is in my sidebar.

I have a couple of charm packs of Rural Jardin that I'm using for my flowers.  Two packs of charm squares will make 48 blocks.  I'm heading out to the LQS in a little while to see if I can pick up one more.  When I first purchased the charm packs, I didn't like the fabrics.  Seeing the fabric worked into hexagons gave me a whole different perspective and appreciation for this fabric line.  It's a reminder to not look at fabric patterns as a whole but to look at it in bits and pieces.  I have probably passed up many fabrics just for that reason.

Grandmothers Flower Garden





This is a quilt that my great grandmother made, I'm guessing, in the 30's.  She passed away in 1985 at the age of 103.  My mom has fond memories of my grandmother, great grandmother and great great grandmother, sitting around a quilt frame hand quilting quilts.  My mom said she tried to learn but it didn't come easy for her and she didn't pursue it.  I'm the only one that has picked it up.  

While I was in Oklahoma, my mom gave me a quilt that my great great grandmother made.  I will cherish these two hand made beauties for the rest of my life.  I hope my kids will appreciate them and keep them safe when they are passed onto them.

To honor my grandmothers,  I will use my hexagon flowers to make my own Grandmother's Garden.

Have a great day!

Vickie


14 comments:

Sheila said...

Vickie,
what a treasure you have in your grandmothers flower garden quilt , just beautiful . I think it is wonderful you are the challenge to also make your own grandmothers flower garden quilt , your flowers are lovely ,wonderful start on your project .

Sue said...

Vickie,
Welcome to this group. I am so glad to have found you. Your quilt is just lovely. Last week I posted about my grandmother's that she made back in the 30's. She passed away in 1983 at the age of 91. Hers is not in as good shape as yours, but it is a treasure to me:)
I love the fabric line you are using. I have some of it in my stash. Oh so pretty!

Sue said...

Just looking at your grandmother's quilt again. That is a beauty!! I'm loving it. It was my grandmother's that got me inspired to make one for myself:)

Karen said...

Your flowers are beautiful and it is funny how fabric looks different when cut into small pieces. Such a wonderful way to honor your Grandmother.

Tineke said...

Hi vicky. Your grandmother's quilt is strikingly beautiful. I love to see these old quilts with such a rich history. Your grandma was 103 and sue's was 91...it makes you think that sewing is a healthy thing for us to do :-)

Your flowers are very nice. I had the same experience with my 'ugly' fabrics..you can cut up bolder or larger prints in so many ways that it feels like you have pandora's box in your closet :-).

Joan said...

Beautiful..loved your bit about you Grandmothers - and how special to have that quilt. Lovely Wednesday flowers

marion said...

Love your post, and the flowers are nice.

RaisinCookies said...

I love your flowers. It's interesting how our tastes in fabrics and designs can change over time, isn't it?

Those heirloom quilts are simply breathtaking. One of my favourite aspects of quilting is the story behind the quilts. They are a modern-day treasure, beyond rubies and pearls.

Saskia said...

Your own grandmothers garden will be beautiful. I like the idea of honoring your grandmother. Such a special gift from the past to remember and cherish

Valentina said...

Oh, Vickie!
i am at a loss for words... what a gorgeous quilt, what a legacy...
and your hexi-flowers are absolutely breath-taking!!!
Thank you so much for sharing!

The Memory Keeper said...

How pretty! Both your grandmother's quilt and your little flowers. I'll bet it's soft! Thanks for sharing.

Carrie P. said...

Your flowers are so pretty. Thanks for sharing your great grandmothers quilt. It is awesome.

Leanne said...

what a treasure to have those quilts

Karen said...

lovely little blocks! I've not English paper pieced before...the hexagons interest me, but right now my hand work consists of making tumbling blocks in diawabos!
Karen