Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Milky Way Quilt, Part 2


The top is finished and the quilt frame has been extended to Queen size!  Goodness, I barely had enough room to extend the frame!

I finished piecing the top on Monday, August 30th.  We left on the 1st for an extended holiday weekend up to see the granddaughters.  We arrived back home early on Labor Day and I haven't had much energy to start quilting and finishing this quilt.  I actually pinned the backing fabric to the leaders today and tomorrow will cut down the batting a little and get the top loaded and start quilting.  To date, this is the largest project I've ever done.  

Using the Thangles really helped out with the HSTs.  I still had a couple of errors but not as many as I could have had doing the HSTs by stitching a quarter inch on either side of the line.  What I liked the most about using the Thangles was the stability the paper provided on the bias.  The squares turned out perfectly square every time!

Raewyn asked me what a Thangle is;  here is the link that shows how they work:  http://www.thangles.com/howtheywork.html

After I finish this quilt, I'm determined to get my mom's birthday quilt finished and mailed to her (her birthday was in May!) and to get the baby quilt finished that I started quite awhile ago.  After that, I'm quilting for me!  :)

The holiday weekend was very warm in No. California and much cooler since arriving back home.  We woke up to a little rain yesterday and sunny comfortable temperatures today.  Hard to believe summer is coming to an end.  Even harder to believe we have 3 months left of 2010!  

It's also time to get my hexie's out and get some flowers stitched up!

Take care!

Vickie

5 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I look forward to seeing it when it is completed. Why is it we can find so little time to create for ourselves?

Sue said...

Your quilt is quite lovely !! Looks as though you're hand quilting it. I love to hand quilt and hand quilting seems to be the best way to quilt those big ones. When it's all done, it is so worth it!!

I am working on a quilt for my mom for Christmas, but the past week or two has been too busy to do much in the sewing room.

Having a huge hog roast tomorrow, then hoping to get back into the swing of things next week!

Blessings!

Sue said...

Okay, looking at your photo again (!) I see that you must have a long arm. Very nice! Only wishing at times I had one!!!
Take care!

Raewyn said...

Thank you for the Thangles link - they look like a very handy thing to use - very accurate. Your quilt has turned out just lovely - enjoy quilting it!!

Momma Made This said...

Hello fellow Slow Poke! See? I really AM slow! I love your projects, your taste in fabric, and I'm now following you! So I'll be back! : D

~ Ronda