Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

A Few Small Projects

During the quilt run, I bought Anni Downs "Gardener's Journal" book.  There are some really cute, small projects in the book and I made a sunglass case.  Sewing the curve on the flap didn't come out too well; next time I'll hand stitch it or use my Juki as she sews curves so smoothly.

I made a "Happy Hostess Gift Box" from Jennifer Casa for Sew Mama Sew.  I used fusible fleece since I didn't have the stiff fusible interfacing.  I was in Joann's the other day and bought the stiff fusible interfacing and will use that next time.  I like how it turned out and is super fast to make!


I wanted to prepare for the upcoming International Quilt Show next weekend in Long Beach so I made a tote bag!  This is a McCalls pattern M5898.

This bag is big!  I used Home Dec fabric from Waverly 100% cotton.  Thick and sturdy!  The lining is muslim I had in my stash.  Instead of pockets on the outside, I put one pocket on the inside.  This bag will also be used when I travel.  I haven't garment sewn in many years and was a great exercise in revisiting construction other than quilts.  I took my Juki off of the quilt frame and used her for this project.  I sure do love that machine!  I'm going to use her all the time!

August 2nd I'm flying out to Oklahoma to be with my dad.  He's not doing very well with losing my mom.  The first few months he was fine; the past couple of months have been hard on him.  We invited him to sell his home and property out there and come out here to live with us.  He has agreed that this change is what he needs.  I'm so excited!  The property will go on the market and I'm hoping it will sell quickly so I can bring him home!  I will lose my sewing room which is fine with me.  I have enjoyed it even though it isolates me from my husband.  I'll be back in the dining room without the quilt frame.  I'm taking that down and will sell it.  Before I leave, I must finish the Summer Breeze and Camping quilts!

Vickie

4 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

How wonderful to have your dad moving home with you!
You made some wonderful items - I especially likes the eyeglass case :)

sunny said...

Cute things you've been making. And how nice that your dad is coming to live with you. My sister's family bought a bigger house hoping my dad would go live with them, but he didn't want to leave the old home town. Enjoy every minute.

Teresa said...

Love the boxes, bowls and your summer breeze quilt. I think it is great that your dad can come and live with you all. I wish you much happiness an special times together.

M and M plus 3 said...

Cute projects, love the boxes.
Hope your Dad does better soon. I lost my step Dad this past Jan. It's been hard on my Mom. It's a hard adjustment for them, isn't it?! Good luck at selling his home. I agree, loosing a sewing room is SO worth it. Have a safe journey! I'll be on my fishing trip to Canada then so I'll be gone as well.