Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Slow, Steady and Very Relaxing

I basted the camping quilt on Saturday and started hand quilting on Sunday.  I am loving this process!  It's so relaxing and on cooler days, the quilt keeps me nice and toasty!

My final decision on enlarging the quilt came on Friday when our grandson was here and I held the quilt up to him, after I sewed on a 2" inner border and 7" outer border, that it would be just fine without having to add any additional borders.  I really like the result and will post a picture once it's finished.  He was so cute, he saw the top hanging on my ironing board and asked me if he could sleep with it that night.  He's a good sport and understood that grandma wasn't finished.  To him, it looked complete!

Here's a sneak peak at my progress:


The embroidered blocks were meant to be snowball blocks so I'm quilting it to resemble the snowball block.  I'll have to do a little more quilting in the center.  I'm happy with my quilting in the plain blocks as it's easy to see where the needle is.  In the plaid blocks, the stitches are a lot more uneven as it's hard to see how much needle I have coming out the top and to see where the thread is when I start a new stitch.  Everything will improve with time.

Time to get back to work!  Have a great day.

Vickie


2 comments:

Sue said...

Vicki the camp quilt is looking so good! How cute that your grandson was all ready to snuggle up under it! Precious.

I am glad you are getting your hand quilt frame, but trust me, if it says you don't have to baste, don't baste! That's the one wonderful thing I love about my hand quilting frame....no basting :D

I've never heard of the type you bought. I'll have to check it out.

Enjoy the season!

Julie Fukuda said...

The quilting looks just great! I am a hoop quilter and a baster (and that is not so easy to find room to lay it out for basting). I'll be interested to hear the report on yhe frame. I have tried a larger hoop but find it hard to do a good job in the center so have gone back to a medium size.